Third all grain brew September 14
Did my third all grain brew yesterday, my first using a recipe and no kit.
This is a St Austell 'Proper Job' clone - an English IPA - which I will be dry hopping in the secondary with Cascade.
This was also the first time I've added gypsum to the mash to up the calcium levels in the liquor for the enzymes, and the first time I've put the 90 minute hops in with the first runnings - apparently this can give you a hoppier tasting beer.
Beer bottle labels September 8
I've bottled my second batch and made labels for around half of them. It makes a huge difference :)
It's quite a simple label - I didn't draw the goblin - I found it on the interwebs somewhere, and the font used is from dafont.com. The whole thing was put together in The Gimp and printed using gLabels.
BrewTroller August 24
My efforts to automate my home brewing have begun. I ordered a BrewTroller kit and it arrived on Friday so I spent the weekend assembling it.
The finished article.
Very pleased it worked first time. Thought it wasn't working until I adjusted the contrast on the LCD, then all the text appeared :D
I've done a write up of the build with more information and pictures.
Second all grain brew August 16
Did my second all grain brew yesterday, using my shiny new mash tun and strainer setup.
This one was another Barley Bottom kit, Gob Hoblin and it went very well, better than the first one as the mash didn't get stuck and it all ran into the boiler smoothly :)
Wort Pump August 3
Bought a nice new Totton pump from ebay the other day to pump wort around when home brewing. Made a stand for it and wired it up yesterday.
The 'S' in the cable is a simple cable strain relief so pulling on the wire won't pull on the wiring inside the switch.
It's magnetically coupled and food safe. Should help with stuck sparges and save me having to lift full buckets of near boiling liquid.